Have you been feeling down lately – lethargic, tired, weak, and like any virus and disease can take you down? You need a boost. And the most efficient and effective boost you can get immediately is through IV therapy.
This post will discuss what IV therapy is, how it works, and its benefits.
What is IV Therapy?
IV therapy is the shortened name for intravenous therapy. It is a prevalent medical treatment; in fact, it is so common that if you’ve seen a movie with a hospital scene, you’ve witnessed IV therapy at work. IV therapy is not only for severe medical issues or hospital use – but also for cosmetic purposes and day-to-day health.
From the name “intravenous therapy,” we can deduce that the treatment involves the veins. IV therapy delivers vitamins, nutrients, and essential healthy substances straight to the veins. It is an incredible treatment for a host of different concerns, not just specific health problems.
IV therapy is used for stem cell transplant or administering large doses of morphine, anesthesia, antibiotics, or critical bodily fluids.
At its core, IV therapy is the process of delivering vitamins, nutrients, and minerals straight into the bloodstream. It is used in cases when the body needs critical substances for immediate use. IV therapy is more effective than orally delivered vitamins, nutrients, and minerals in delivery time and absorption efficacy.
In the past, IV therapy was reserved for patients who needed essential bodily fluids immediately or patients who couldn’t take medication orally. But today, healthy people can use IV therapy for a quick boost to their health.
How Does IV Therapy Work?
IV therapy delivers large amounts of nutrients, vitamins, minerals, or vital bodily fluids into the bloodstream. IV therapy uses an IV bag to contain the fluids that will be injected into the body. From the IV bag runs a medical tube and on the other end is an injection needle.
The needle delivers the vitamins, minerals, or nutrients into the bloodstream.
What’s in an IV Bag?
The contents of the IV bag depend on the purpose of the IV therapy. Below is a list of the most common contents of an IV bag:
- Saline is a mixture of water and sodium chloride (the chemical name of salt). Saline is the base ingredient of any IV therapy bag as it effectively carries the other substances you need. Saline also effectively hydrates the body as it is filled with electrolytes.
- Vitamin C is a preferred content of an IV bag if you want to boost your immunity against viruses and diseases. If you feel like getting sick, vitamin C should be a part of your IV therapy.
- Lactated Ringer’s (LR) is another carrier of other fluids. It contains water, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, calcium chloride, and sodium lactate. Just like saline, LR helps in hydration.
- Dextrose is healthy sugar which the body can use for energy. Dextrose inside an IV bag helps regulate low blood sugar and is helpful for a quick pick-me-up.
- Vitamin B complex contains all the B-vitamins (B-1, B-2, B-3, B-5, B-6, B-9, and B-12). B-vitamins help in various bodily functions such as cell production or maintaining high energy levels.
- Antibiotics combat foreign bacteria that induce infections. An IV bag may contain antibiotics if your body needs to eliminate infections as soon as possible.
- Antioxidants prevent damage to cells. They are typical inclusions in an IV bag in a surgery scenario. But there is no harm in taking in antioxidants for health maintenance.
Other contents you may need in an IV bag are calcium, magnesium, or any other vitamins, minerals, or nutrients.
How is IV therapy better than taking supplements or oral medication? There are two primary advantages of IV therapy over orally delivered vitamins, minerals, or nutrients.
IV Therapy Gives the Body What it Needs Immediately
Orally delivered vitamins, minerals, and nutrients take about 6 hours to pass through the large and small intestines and another 36 hours to pass through the colon. Absorbing the essential substance from pills takes a long time because of the many processes in the digestive system – ingestion, propulsion, mechanical or physical digestion, chemical digestion, absorption, and excretion.
On the other hand, IV therapy instantly delivers the body’s required substances to the bloodstream, bypassing the digestive system altogether. The body gets the needed substances as soon as they are injected into the bloodstream.
IV Therapy Has Better Absorption Rate
The absorption percentage from orally delivered medication ranges from 20% to 50%. That means if you take pills containing 100 grams of vitamin C, for example, you will only get 20 to 50 grams of the vitamin.
But IV therapy effectively increases the body’s capacity for absorbing vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. Instead of a 20% to 50% absorption rate, IV therapy pumps that number to 90% to 100%.
When to Have IV Therapy
Even if you are not severely sick, you can have IV therapy for a quick wellness boost. IV therapy is helpful in a lot of different scenarios. Below is a brief list of the possible effects of IV therapy.
Vitamin B complex in an IV therapy bag ensures an effective energy boost you can feel immediately. Additionally, the dextrose sugar and hydrating saline or LR in the IV therapy bag can contribute to a more energized you.
Antibiotics, antioxidants, and of course, vitamin C, are effective vanguards against diseases, viruses, or infections. Antioxidants combat toxins and free radicals that will damage your cells and DNA. Vitamin C is the primary vitamin for a robust immune system, and antibiotics fight tiny alien life forms that invade your body.
In other words, these three substances will get you on the right track to wellness – whether you are sick or just feeling sick.
Other benefits of IV therapy include weight loss, hangover relief, pain relief, anxiety reduction, reducing nutrient deficiency, increased blood circulation, improved heart health, alleviating pregnancy symptoms, sped-up recovery, and more.
Get Back to Wellness
Yunik Aesthetics offers the best IV therapy packages in Florida. Contact us today to get your quick boost back to wellness with IV therapy. You can reach us via phone at 754-210-3150 or via email at [email protected].